Accessing SharePoint workflows or creating new ones gives an error “User Cannot be found” , This can happen when the user account is no longer in Active Directory.
The workaround for this to to republish the workflow through SharePoint Designer 2010
- Open site in SharePoint Designer 2010.
- Click on the Workflows from the Site Objects menu.
- Select the workflow and Publish
- Repeat this for all the workflows.
Sometimes opening the workflows and republishing them doesn’t work, these workflows might stuck with old user and republishing them don’t work.
- Deactivated workflow features at the site collection level
- Open the site within SharePoint Designer
- All files > _catalog > wfpub >
- Deleted all the existing workflows
- Reactivated Workflow features at the site collection level which will recreate the OOB workflows
- All users are now able to access workflow settings and publish a workflow without any issues